Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Home Again

I tried but couldn't get any sleep in the flight to Amsterdam. I had an 8 hours stopover, so was meeting up with a good friend I hadn't seen in over two years for breakfast, but since I arrived two hours before we planned to meet (she didn't want to come to the airport for 5 am and I don't blame her!), I splurged and payed for a shower at the airport. It wasn't cheap, but felt SOOO good!
When it was finally time for me to meet up with her, I made my way through customs. There was no line and the two customs officers sitting there didn't think it unusual that I was meeting a friend for breakfast and then continuing on my trip home.
I met my friend near the train station escalators, though we decided that next time we need a more specific spot to meet! After breakfast at the airport restaurant, we took the train to Haarlem where we had fun walking around the old town and visiting the church. It was great to be able to catch up with each other and spend a few hours exploring a new place together (well, new for me, at least).
We said our goodbyes at the airport and I made my way back through customs, bought a McKroket for lunch (those things are awesome!), and got on my flight home.
Again, I couldn't fall asleep on the plane no matter what I did - 40 hours without sleep! Surprisingly, I had no problems getting through immigration. I was expecting a few questions based on going to Sudan and then a 4 hour jaunt into Amsterdam. This time when I was asked if I was traveling alone, I gave the whole saga - alone on the flights, and who I was with for each part of the trip. His only response was "Wow, you've been busy!" and off I went. I was equally surprised that my bag made it! I didn't have much hope for it, so it sure was nice to see it sliding down onto the luggage carousel.
My parents were there to pick me up and had even brought supper to my place! The kept me up until 7 pm (I think I was now at over 43 hours without sleep) before heading back home. It was a great trip, but it sure felt good to be able to climb into my own bed again!

No comments:

Post a Comment