Friday, September 24, 2010

Exploring Juba - Day 5

Beer bread for breakfast again! (I still have to get that recipe) After filling our tummies, it was off to the airport with R to register with the government and get another stamp in my passport. Why they don't do this when I entered the country, I don't know!

Back on the compound, I spent a while working on the primers before we loaded up the truck again and headed out to the "mountain" to price some rocks (needed for the foundation of some new buildings being built on the compound). Until two weeks before my trip, people were allowed to hike up the mountain, which apparently has great views of the city and surrounding countryside. Unfortunately, the SPLA now has it surrounded and has anti-aircraft weapons installed on it, so you need a pretty good reason to be on that mountain in order to get past them. We got the price for rocks at two places - one where the rocks are split by machine, the other where the rocks are split by people hammering the rocks. (Not a job I'm interested in doing!)

After a game of badminton on the compound, R, S, T and I went out to the Ethiopian restaurant for supper. It was my first experience with Ethiopian food and definitely won't be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment