Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Palenque

I started getting sick today :( I already was getting a sore throat, but this morning my digestive system started acting up, too. Luckily it waited until we had finished visiting the ruins to really go crazy.
We had, or in some cases, tried to have breakfast at the hotel. (Service sucks and some people never got the food they ordered) We were picked up by van and driven the short distance to the entrance to the ruins where we met our guide. The ruins here were awesome! Half covered by jungle, not many tourists, and we were able to climb them! Of course, it comes with a few risks though - as we were getting to the first courtyard, an ambulance was coming out from behind the temple, probably carrying someone who slipped and fell.
The main temples and buildings have been uncovered and restored, but there are many other buildings still covered by jungle, and it was neat to check them out after the tour ended. I was with Mf and I, and we all felt like we were in an Indiana Jones movie ... or maybe Lara Croft since we are all girls :P I even almost got hit in the head by a stick a monkey threw at me!
After we got our fill of ruins, we had a quick look at the museum, then walked back to the hotel for lunch and a relaxing afternoon beside the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment